Saturday 30 March 2013

Easter Chicks

Well, maybe not the real ones but this will have to do.

It's down to the wire and I have to produce a couple of Easter cards so finally buckled down to it tonight...

Spring is finally here in Surrey B.C.  DH spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday and again today and I took advantage of that and raced down to the craft room to prepare some Easter card kits for the grandkids. They arrived at 4:30...full of giggles and boundless energy and dying to make some cards for their Mum and Dad. I had the kits all laid out to save time...Two lovely card were quickly created, signed, and into the envelopes before I could grab a picture!

I had a smile on my face as they both signed each card, using the same pen. Little Miss C went for the dark ink look...pressed nice and hard and went to town with medium sized writing. Little Mr P sat down after her and printed his name so tiny I may have to run out and buy a magnifying glass for them to see it! He also managed to make it appear as though he used a super fine point, pale ink pen!!! Oh, what a sweetie!

They were up into their beds at 9pm and this tired Grandma made a card with the leftover scraps from their creating spree. Now keep in mind that we are almost 60...we love them to bits but are TIRED by bedtime when we have them for sleepovers...they are great kids, quiet, play nicely together etc...but it is all the extras that we are not used to that tire us out! Glad  I got these cards made,  as we are off to Stanley park to ride the Easter train tomorrow. It is about an hour's drive to the park and probably a fair bit of walking from the car parking area to the train. I shall bring my poles and I'm sure buy the time we get home, I will not be making any cards tomorrow!

Here is the first one...A very simple card made from snippets and hoarded stash! I have finally come to the realization that they do not all have to be works of art. In some cases, they just have to be a card...ready at the right time...made to suit the audience they are intended for. This is one of those.

Gosh, this photo seems so washed out. I will try another one...I think it is a little clearer...but the photo is a little wonky...sigh...I need to take a photography course!

Recipe
Card base - 5 inch square scalloped card;  made on the accucut machine at my local scrapbook store...free to use as long as you are cutting paper you bought from them. I keep their heavy weight card stock in separate folders marked with their store name...that way I can use those machines when needed.
Designer Paper - from my stash, Floral with bunnies and chicks is Best Creations Craft n Craftin Glitter paper Bunny Love
Designer Paper - from my stash, Words;  Flair Designs 2008  Easter Surprise Collection - Words
Cardstock - from my snippets bin
Dies - Spellbinders square Fleur de Lis
Embellishments - from my stash,  3D chick and egg, tiny carrot and blue flower, as well as the 3D Easter sign are snippets of various  Dollar Store Easter scrapbook packets.

I am entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets.
2. Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes
3. Friends of Speedy TV MFP - # 65 Make an Easter card or project
4. Simple Salutations MFP - Anything goes
5. Inspirational Challenge MFP - Inspirational photos provided

17 comments:

dutchess said...

oh you have got it so right....a card to suit the recipient, it's too easy to get hooked up on making cards so fancy , I don't care what they look like I am always so honoured when someone has taken the time and trouble to make a card for me.....
Have a lovely time this Easter....don't get too tierd!
hugs Margaret

Di said...

Wow Maureen, you say it's not a work of art - I think it's absolutely gorgeous! A perfect Easter card and such pretty Springlike colours.

I know what you mean about the little ones - we just collapse in a heap when they've been here to stay, although the house then seems desperately quiet.

I hope you're bringing a large suitcase BTW, I'm almost sure the likes of Hobbycraft now stock scalloped edge cards.

Happy Easter, hugs, Di xx

brenda said...

I am hoping it might also arrive with us this weekend Maureen as hubby would also like to get out into the gardens, so many things are overdue like pruning the fruit trees.

Such a pretty Easter card, so bright and welcoming.

Hope you have a lovely Easter.

B x

Janine said...

Pretty Easter card and thanks for joining our challenge. I hope and pray God gives you the right amount of energy for today - Have fun!

Darnell said...

Happy Easter to you all, Maureen! I know exactly what you mean about how they tire you out! Even sweet, no-trouble kids, have an energy level that is exhausting just watching them, LOL!

Your card of left-overs is adorable!! Have a blast today!!

Sue said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time Maureen !! my oldest grandson is 18 so he's not about to join me crafting LOL but he always asks how I did this and how I did that :) have a fabulous day out on the train and a happy easter hun lots of huge hugs!!!!!! Sue J xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

very cute card and i love the spring colours! our spring will arrive soon, i hope. enjoy your gardening and happy easter.

Redanne said...

Aaah, Grandchildren are just the most wonderful treasures, I bet they had a lovely time making their cards and your card it beautiful too. Hope you are having a lovely weekend. Hugs, Anne x

Sharon said...

This is lovely. The image is adorable and I love the gorgeous design and papers.
Hugs Sharon. x

May said...

Beautiful Easter card full of wonderful spring colours...Love the little chick...I hope you all had a fabulous time at the Easter train ride... Happy Easter to you all... Hugs May x x x
ps... I love your bird cards from last post!!! they are Gorgeous!! x x x x

Tracy said...

Sweet card, the chicky is cute :)
As for being 60 and tired after watching the grandchildren all day. I have looked after my nephew and needed a nap after a few hours and I an 15 yrs younger, lol.
Enjoy the easter train :)
And isn't it always Spring in BC, teehee.

Andrea said...

what a super sweet card love teh spring colours and the chick is adorable also wanted to say thank you for your kind words very much appreciated and being my new follower s have a wonderful Easter
hugs Andrea

Cathy said...

Happy Easter Mo! I love your colourful Easter card, the layout is fab, makes me feel happy just seeing it :) Cathy x

Hettie said...

Aww! Pretty card there Mo!
Happy Easter to you and yours
xxx

Sassy Raggedy said...

Mo, these are both adorable. The color showed up very good on my computer so sometimes I think it is just the difference in computers. I love them both and hope you are not wearing yourself out too much. I also love that card holder thingy you are using. Not sure what they are called....lol Happy Easter, joann sassy raggedy Be sure to check my blog Monday for a surprise. joann sassy raggedy

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Cute Easter card. Like the arrangement. Great use of scraps. Thank you for entering MFP Simple Salutations Anything Goes challenge.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
MFP SS Hostess

debby4000 said...

Adorable Easter card.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp challenge.

luv
Debby